Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Better Aussie Things

Yes, the sun was 10 meters from the earth and it was so hot I sweat from places I didn't even know I had...while sitting, unmoving on the couch. The washing machine was outside, we had no insect screens (but made some!), and we paid for things like local calls and bank accounts, but it was all worth it. ALL of it.

The best part of our time in Australia was meeting people who took us under their wings and taught us things we never knew. I feel so lucky. Look who I got to meet!

Suz: A boss who became a friend. A kindred spirit who complained about American and Australian politics with me, who shared her music with me, made me laugh daily, and who showed me so much kindness and generosity.



Imgen (as she called herself): My favorite patron of ham and cheese sandwiches...well, any food, really. Look at those eyes!



Kate: My Betty Blue Buddy...my fellow lover of good food, and a woman who dispenses excellent advice and comfortable company.



I wish I had pictures of the many others who meant so much...you know who you are.
Thank you for everything.
xox

1 comment:

Melinda said...

Popping over from Sussanah's blog (just so you know I'm not a creepy cyber-stalker) :-)

It sounds like you made the absolute most of your time in Australia. Rob and I are saving our pennies for a trip to France (or somewhere else fun and child-free).

I live in the deep south and insect screens and air conditioning are an absolute essential... right up there with food and shelter.